A short welcome message here.
There are eight different 'pages' in this layout (including this page you are seeing now.)
Navigate using the alphabets in the word B E L I E V E
The Alphabet will turn white to indicate your mouse rolled on the right spot to navigate away
Anyhow, WELCOME.
Don't be shy. Cause I'm not. heh D:
Hello, I am Jessica.
D Q P S
Z H O N G H U A
T P Design
I -
do F a s h i o n related work/studies.
have a MAJOR CRUSH/INTEREST/FLING with branding and marketing related works/studies
am an art person. maybe has a flair but the talent is shaky and unstable. but recognises the depth of personal potential for arts. (:
I'm kinda brilliant. Mental note that aights? (:
Loves: Almost everyone.
Hates: Nothing really. Until you really know me i guess. (:
Jess kinda rocks; like big time ._.
We found Love beyond the rainbow bridge . . .
9:25 AM Thursday, November 13, 2008
This is my final assignment for Creative Writing. I agree with Louise that there are no perfect essays, cause people have different standards and perspective. At the same time, I agree with Cheng that there should always be a balance in any writings. Aye.
It's all good I guess. (((:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Pressure KidShe grimaces. She beams brightly. She crinkles her nose. Her eyes winked. Eyebrow cocked. She is commonly known as, Jessica. Oh, oh. Her nickname is The Pressure Kid. And now she smirks.
Humans. She deals with them everyday. Everyone deals with fellow humans everyday, but with different ways of expressions, in due accordance to personalities. Usually, they do conform to a certain code of conduct as regulated by the society.
But the kid behaves unconventionally. She rebels. In every sense one can think of.
It could be simply that she just does not know how to react.
Well, Jessica is pretty much the pampered kid in the family. The Pressure Kid, they call her. You do not have to provoke her conspicuously but if you do, in subtle gestures, she will get affected and so behaves like a pressure cooker. She sits there and stares into space. Eyes look disoriented, and a very strong presence of an invisible wall being forged around her, can be felt. Then you will infer that she is having many pennies for her thoughts and is shimmering in depth. Yet when friends or family presents simple pleasures like sweets or concern, she will forget about what she was pondering before and accept grace happily.
But the strange thing is, she was unaware of that unknown pressurizing nature for an incredulously long period of time. It could be that attention and commitment given to the surrounding people were so much that she neglected this seemingly inadequate trait within self.
Maybe a little too late in understanding the hurt and pain she encountered in Life. What seemed overbearing at that time yet floated by insignificantly, created an understatement of what real emotions in Life should mean, to Jessica. She was sedated.
But she met Him.
And then Magic struck.
“Hey, you alone?”
Jessica quiet. She slouched. Her body shrunk a little. Her slender fingers gingerly gripped the hem edge of her soft knit top.
“Oh no, please don’t get me wrong. I’m just looking for a seat. You have a rather empty table, if you realize.” He smiles gently. Hoping to reach a compromise.
Jessica motioned her head slowly. Shakes. “My friends are reaching soon . . . I’m sorry.” Her eyes diverted his gentle disappointed gaze.
“I see. It’s okay! I guess I’ll see you around school then.” He flashed a semi toothy grin at her, signaling her to not be bothered by the matter. He stuck his two hands into his baggy pockets and sauntered off. His broad shoulder slates drooped a little.
“School? He’s a schoolmate?”
She looked at his back as he walked away, and smiled. She was amused.
Feeling kind of bothered, her face flushed. The cool air brushed across her cheeks and her skin tingled at the sensation. Somehow, she could feel a rising tide of pressure tickling her. But in a very queer nice way, which made the corners of her lips upturned.
Who is he? That question burned at the back of her mind fervently. For days, it haunted her, creeping up on her or springing surprises whenever her mind are not concentrating on her daily routine of school and friends and family. Slowly she got distracted thinking about the boy.
“Hey what is wrong with our Pressure Kid? Are you sick?” Claris nudged Jessica slightly as she took a seat right next to her. They were in Starbucks to chill, as per normal. Jessica absent-mindedly pressed her festive paper cup to her cold lips, which she grazed the tip of the cup with her teeth. She then drank her dark cherry mocha. One sip, two sips and she stopped.
“Eh Riz, what if a girl keeps wondering about a boy . . . I mean just . . .”
“Why are you so random? I mean, WAIT! ARE YOU IN LOVE?” the tone in Claris’ words jumped.
Jessica kept quiet. Then she frowned. She stared into Claris’ quizzical gaze squarely and said, “How to tell if I’m in love? I’ve never been in love before. But I’m just thinking about a boy I met four weeks ago. I don’t even know his name you see . . . yet I keep wondering about him.”
Claris knew exactly what the kid was thinking. She fisted Jessica on her arm, playfully. “I bet that guy must have left an impression in you. A mean feat uh.”
Jessica smirked at Claris. Claris knows. She can give minimal information, yet Claris can always read her mind, as though it’s a transparent manuscript of thoughts auto running through on her forehead. A metaphorical weight was off her heart. She was glad Claris knew about the boy, like somehow, he was stamped approved for unknown reasons.
“So how did you get to know about this dude?” Claris grabbed her cup of caramel macchiato and plunked onto the couch. Settling herself comfortably, she mouthed thanks to the cute barista who served her.
“I was waiting for you guys that day when we arranged for our usual meet-up. You guys went to get some weird hair gel and were late in meeting me. You remember about that day?”
“Uh . . . I guess so. Then?” She jestingly yawned.
“Then he came and asked if he could share a table with . . .”
“You.” An unfamiliar bass voice cut in. The girls turned their heads acutely in a single direction. Jessica’s pupils enlarged as she recognized the face of the person.
“What the hell.” Jessica cussed in her heart. Her heart palpitated and again she felt the cool conditioned air tickled her warm flushed cheeks. “It’s him.”
“Hi, the name’s Lucas. I know you are Jessica, and I believe this is your best friend, Claris. Nice to meet you.” He held out his hand and flashed the same semi toothy grin she remembered him doing so.
“Hi.” She pouted.
Silence.
Claris started to analyze the seemingly thorny situation. She smiled in the most amused manner. Then she rose and shook Lucas’ waiting hand and said, “Hey . . . nice to meet you too. I guess Jessica is a little shy. But I got to go for some reason, so can I trust you with her, alone?” Claris smirked and gripped his hand tighter. He returned her a hearty shake, laughed and gave her a thumb-up sign. He had that down-to-earth charm in him; Claris felt it, it was a good vibe for Jessica.
Claris turned and kissed Jessica on the cheek. Jessica grimaced and pulled onto Claris’ bag, miffed at her sudden decision to depart. “It’s your time now kid. Work your charm and good luck.” And she left the two alone in the café, hoping her impromptu plan works.
Jessica was taken aback at the change of events. Bullet trains of thoughts run through her mind. Too sudden, she felt. She did not know how to react. Unable to react, she instinctively turned on her stoned pressure-cooking mode.
For a good ten minutes, Lucas watched her stoned expression silently. No exchange of any sort was made; he did not understand why but he just continued to watch her patiently, despite the awkward atmosphere.
“What are you thinking about?” He attempted to break the non-vocal barrier, after half an hour.
Jessica took a look at him. She saw a smiling face with tenacious zest in his eyes. It stirred something in her. Her heart skipped a beat.
But she was still unable to react appropriately.
“Hey I kinda remember I need to go . . . seeya.” Jessica picked up her bag and headed for the door. Her footsteps felt heavy and gravity pulled her closer to earth, much stronger than usual. She could hear her heartbeat thumping loud and clear as she took each step; She was feeling sorry for her lack of etiquette.
Lucas’ face fell, disappointed at the way things turned out. He stared grimly at the fading back view of Jessica. “Damned.” He thought. He hit the backrest of the couch and allowed his hands to fall to his sides. Then he felt something and an idea, an excuse struck him.
He picked up the thing lightning quick, and bolted for the door. Giving chase to the vague silhouette of Jessica, he had something on his hand to give her. He felt an enormous surge of courage and he knew he wanted to get to her as soon as possible.
“Jessica!”
“Huh?”
He caught up with her.
“You left your phone behind.”
“Oh.” She gazed softly at the gadget, her attention on his waiting palm. Silence never felt so uncomfortable before.
She took it.
“Thanks. Really.”
“No problem . . .” He caught her falling arm and pulled her attention.
“Jessica, I know it is rude of me to appear in front of you suddenly. I know it is sudden for you to accept me in your life. But I have to tell you. I have noticed you for a long time. I always see you staring into space alone at times, and slowly it became a habit for me to watch you stare into space. I could not forget how you look and I thought I just got to know you. I think of you every now and then. It is an uncontrollable feeling.” He gulped his imaginary pool of saliva in his mouth, as if to clear away some nervousness.
“I guess I’m fond of you. I maybe even in love with you . . .”
He paused. Suddenly afraid to carry on with his speech.
But Jessica’s soft gaze fell onto his boyish face. His body relaxed a little and reached for her. He slowly and gently held Jessica in his trembling arms.
“It may be abrupt for you, but I given it much thought already. Please, accept me in your life. Please don’t push me away. I really wanna know more about you.” He whispered coarsely.
Jessica smiled coyly at him. His nervous face and fleeting eyes stirred more feelings from her. Never before she had this much emotion in her. Her life suddenly has made more sense to her. Her cheeks burned and tears welled up. Mixed emotions trickled in and filling her heart up. Her hands are too, shaking from her growing overwhelming feelings.
As though a good-humored pressure pushed her gently, she leaned in and pressed her lips onto his cold lips. It was brief but sweet. “You know . . . They call me The Pressure Kid . . .”
Jessica Goh Ming Yian
0606146I
Assignment 4
cried and grew.